Divination cards - also known as tarot cards, oracle cards, angel cards and more are a form of energetic communication. They are a wonderful tool to help us connect with our guides and intuition. This ancient practice of seeking knowledge, guidance, messages and inspiration from a spirit or higher consciousness can be achieved using divination tools and crafts such as palm readings, tarot, dowsing and more. In this guide, we will explore 'what is divination' and some helpful tips and tools to get started.
The best tarot cards can be a trusted means to connect with the messages from spirit. Although tarot is one of the most popular divination practices, there is a common misconception that tarot cards are for predicting the future. As with any type of divination card - the true purpose is to tap into your intuition to see what is falling away, what is working for you now and how to manifest your goals. If you are looking to start this divination practice, here is a beginner's guide to tarot cards to help you start.
Best divination deck shortlist
• Best tarot deck: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Deck by A.E. Waite
• Best oracle card deck: The Starseed Oracle: A 53-Card Deck and Guidebook by Rebecca Campbell
• Best divination deck for the modern mystic: Mystic Mondays Tarot: A Deck for the Modern Mystic by Grace Duong
• Best angel card deck: Angels and Ancestors Angel Cards by Kyle Gray
But why do we call them divination cards, and what does 'divination' really mean? When we can pull a card from a deck led by our intuition, it affirms our decision, and we are comforted to move forward with confidence. The documentary platform Gaia defines divination as “the practice of seeking knowledge of the future or the unknown by supernatural means.” Almost every culture has a form of divination– the Chinese use the I Ching, and Norse cultures use runes - these practices help us gain guidance. Divination decks, in the same regard - are also a spiritual tool to help us make decisions.
So without further ado, let's take a look at the best divination decks used for insight, perspective, clarity, personal growth, inspiration, coaching and decision-making.
The best divination cards
No divination tool round-up is complete without mentioning the classic original Rider Waite Tarot
- Original Tarot deck
- Good to start out
- Tarot is very grounded in their meanings - if you prefer something with more subjectivity oracle cards would be a better choice
Best classic card deck for diversity and representation
These tarot cards are based on the Rider-Waite-Smith deck but feature artwork with better
- Modern Imagery
- A feminine take on the Rider-Waite-Smith deck
- Some may prefer the imagery of the original tarot deck
Best card deck for connecting to spirit animals
Medicine Cards by Jamie Sams illustrates the energy of a different animal. Each animal in the deck
- Jamie Sams is of Iroquois and Cherokee descent. She is a medicine teacher and the author of numerous books
- Imagery from nature
- Can help you connect to the earth
- Some reviewers found it tricky to shuffle
Best divination card deck for oracle card readings
Wake up your cosmic energy with this gorgeous oracle deck. Each card interpretation includes a
- Great oracle deck to connect with the Starseed part of yourself
- Beautiful imagery
- Clear guidebook but also open to interpretation
- Some may prefer a more earth-based deck
Best divination card deck for connecting with the yogic elements
The Wild Unknown Tarot features 63 gorgeous cards split into five suits structured by the five
- Tarot deck that uses nature base imagery
- Has five suits structured by the five yogic elements — earth, water, fire, air and ether
- It isn't the best deck for beginners to start off with
Best divination card deck for design
This deck would be a wonderful gift. There is a large choice of box colours to choose from, and a
- Comes in a velvet bag
- Complete Deck of 78 cards
- They're sturdy and glossy in person
- They are not holographic despite photos
Best divination deck for the modern mystic
Mystic Mondays is an eye-catching tarot deck that is vibrant and will help you connect with your
- Has bright artwork, holographic card edges, and foil exterior
- Provides fresh interpretations of each of the major and minor arcana
- Some may prefer a more traditional deck
Best cards for connecting with your angels and ancestors
These oracle cards, beautifully illustrated by Lily Moses and created by Kyle Gray, allow you to
- Kyle Gray experienced spiritual encounters from an early age
- Good for tapping into ancestry and angels
- None we can think of
Best divination deck for natural wisdom
These beautifully designed 40 cards with illustrations for all 38 Bach Flowers contain botanical
- Good for connecting with botanical drawings, photos, folklore and proverbs
- 40 cards and 76 Different designs
- Some may prefer a more sleek deck
Divination cards FAQs
What are the different types of divination cards? Tarot vs oracle vs angel cards
The main difference between these three divination decks is that tarot cards have a traditional structure and common meanings. Most tarot card decks are based on the original Rider-Waite deck. All tarot share common themes, with 22 Major Arcana cards which relate to major events in your life and 56 Minor Arcana cards. The images might be different, but the messaging behind that card is often very similar. So with tarot cards, there is a common theme, whereas oracle cards have no common theme.
Oracle cards are free-flowing and can follow any type of theme. Oracle cards have no set number of cards. There are decks with 12 cards to 100 cards.
If you are looking for guidance or reassurance, angel cards are a wonderful way to connect with your guardian angels. They also allow you to channel the Ascended Masters, goddesses, and any collective considered spiritually evolved to the same level as angels and receive messages from them.
How to shuffle divination cards
It is always a good idea to clear any divination tool. Clear it as you would crystals with sage, sound, or a full moon bath. Ensure that you reach a higher meditative state and get in touch with your intuition by shuffling your cards.
Can anyone use divination cards?
The short answer is that anyone can use oracle cards. The reason that they are so popular is that the decks are approachable for every skill set. As they have fewer rules than tarot cards, they are often a good starting point for beginners.